Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Rearranging the House

We moved furniture all day today. My muscles are aching. Hubby and I had major disagreements on what should stay and what should go and where things should live now.

I ended up with a bed in my computer nest. I was not a happy camper. My lower lip ran waaaay out most of the day. Hubby was determined I have a day bed for lounging around on. I tried to explain to him that a bed would take up valuable real estate in the office and not be used. He said it was "asinine" that I not use a perfectly good bed. I lounge around on the couch because it is in front of the television. There is no TV in the computer nest nor do I want one there. He offered to buy a TV to go at the foot of the bed. I nearly slugged him right in the middle of the Wal-Mart electronics section in front of God and everybody.

Our antique cat is thrilled to have a bed by a window. She sleeps there 23.75 hours per day. She can lay in the sunshine, look out the window, and Ack Ack at the squirrels. At least she is a happy camper.

Some furniture pieces got hauled off to storage. I've been griping about these for several years now. I threatened to buy a new house to put them in and Hubby finally got the message and moved them out. These were pieces we inherited from his family when we first married 25 years ago. I've been hating them for about that long.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated them when I had nothing else, but after five years or so we could afford to acquire our own furniture and they needed to go away. Instead of having exactly what I wanted, I was always making concessions to make these pieces fit in. I was stuck with a particular style of furniture so they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I finally put my foot down and said they were going, or they were going in a much bigger house. Out they went to storage. Now I've got to get them out of our storage unit, but at least they are out of the house.

We got rid of one bookshelf, and I hope to get rid of one more. We have an extensive personal library, but it it past time for a good culling. Getting rid of a book is excruciatingly painful for both of us. They are our friends, our comfort, our joy. They all hold valuable information and we use our library often. However, in our small space our library has become a burden.

Like some of the furniture, some of the books were inherited. Some from Hubby's family, some from my family. Some came to our library as rescues from curbside trash. The time has come for these guys to find new families. One can have only so many coffee table books and home improvement books. I don't have a coffee table any more, and I'm retired from major home improvement. I'm hiring that crap done from now on. Sheetrock dust and sawdust makes me break out in hives.

No comments: