Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

One Toke Over the Line

I grow old...I grow old....
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
-T. S. Eliot


Our local PBS station was having a pledge drive and aired the special "My Music: My Generation --- The 60s." It was a pretty good line-up of performers and tunes. Some had only the original lead singer, others had most of the original band members.

The Association - "Cherish" & "Never My Love"
The Buckinghams - "Kind of a Drag"
The Byrds - "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Vanilla Fudge - "You Keep Me Hanging On"
Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
Blood, Sweat & Tears - "You Make Me So Happy"
The Archies - "Sugar, Sugar"

I was grooving (do they say 'grooving' anymore?) on the tunes, especially the ones performed by the original artists. Iron Butterfly had four or five original guys and I yelled at Hubby, "Hey, come look at this guy in Iron Butterfly. He looks old enough to be somebody's great-grandpa!"

Hubby eyeballed him closely and replied, "That's because he *is* somebody's great-grandpa."

Oh.

The camera then did a long shot of the audience. With few exceptions they were old, bald, bespectacled men and their gray-haired wives. The were nodding in time to the beat and a few were tapping their feet. It's been eons since they were the drugged-out, long-haired hippies dancing with wild abandon at Woodstock. I chuckled to myself and thought, "Tee hee, they look like the audience on The Lawrence Welk Show."

The magnitude of that realization suddenly hit me right between the eyes. POW! I had become my grandmother!

I watching my generation's equivalent of the Lawrence Welk Show...music for the "senior" generation; old fuddy-duddy music. Arrrrrrgh!

I watched hours and hours of Lawrence Welk with my grandmother when I was little. I can sing all the words to the closing theme by heart. If my granddaughter were sitting at my knee at this very moment, she would be whining the same thing I whined at my grandmother's knee all those years ago, "Gee Mammaw, can't we watch something that was popular this decade???"

When did In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida become fuddy-duddy champagne music???

Where did all these gray hairs come from??? When did I get so old???

And for all y'all who think you aren't old fuddy-duddys, here's a little something just for you. Go ahead, sing along. You know you can't help yourself; you know all the words. You've been singing it in your head since you starting reading this post anyway.



A "modern spiritual"... um hum...

I think Lawrence has been hiding his ZigZags in the hymnal.

11 comments:

booda baby said...

Oh hell.

I had hopes - pretty high hopes, thank you - that I'd have no idea what they were singing about, but ...

hell.

I bet it was easier to age before they started up with those new fangled movie-shows. It is so weird to see people who were always older now looking younger than me.

Br. Jonathan said...

I would have loved to have seen that. I was SO into In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, even when I was ten years old.
Years later, I was in a rock band in college called "Direct Current" and we played that tune. (I was on keyboards and LOVED playing that churchey organ part).
Good times. . . .

rosemary said...

Too funny...I just posted a 60's version of Meez! Remember Canned Heat? Grand Funk Railroad? CCR? Chicago when it was called CTA? did you go to concerts? love ins? Umm, grooving does date us a bit but who knows what the new word is? we were cool, we were the movers and changers. i loved LW...I wanted to be a Lennon sister. i played the dork accordion and actually met Myron Floren at a competition...hell, I loved Johnny La Padula! i love that a lot of the 60's music is used in commercials now to hit the target age audience! if I gave my kids nothing else it was a love of the music of my time.

Allan said...

Cripes. I play obscure (anything but IGDV)Iron Butterfly songs on my radio show...I am my own Larry Welk...now for some Geritol and a nap.

more cowbell said...

Well at least you didn't get sucked into an hour-long John Denver PBS fundraising special. Not that I've ever done that.

Yeah, those oldies infomercials freak me the fuck out. I saw one recently where Air Supply was hosting it. The Son was like, "who are those old dudes?"

Kimberly Ann said...

I've always wanted to be a hippie, but I missed out. Music from the 60s beats the birkenstocks off anything out today.

Lorraine said...

Oh my lord, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've started to get really freaked out by those PBS get-togethers. Holy crap, I happened upon the Osmonds during a pledge drive last week and Donny is the ONLY one who doesn't look old.

And THAT song being sung by THOSE people was the funniest damn thing I've seen in decades.

Also, I think Gale was a little creeped out by Dale's hand around her waist. At least, it creeped me out.

Anonymous said...

(;

Sling said...

There were 2 shows my grandma never missed.
Lawrence Welk,and roller derby..No kidding.
We aren't getting older Speck.We've just lived long enough for In-a-gadda-da-vida to become a classic!

Kimberly Ann said...

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Speck. I miss your posts.

Anonymous said...

pft