Pages

Friday, March 7, 2008

Valuing the Little Guy

In the business world, the folks who work in the bowels of the company don't often get the appreciation they deserve and rarely even get acknowledged: the accounting department, the warehouse crew, the janitorial staff. They are the heart and the guts of the business without whom there would be no business. It hacks me off that they are so easily overlooked.

I was once one of those people, toiling away in a dark cubicle on the financial paperwork of the little company. My boss, and owner of the company, told me I didn't deserve a raise because I was the accountant and, "didn't generate any revenue." The computer guy, who also didn't generate revenue and had been there less years with less experience and education, did get a raise to a salary greater than mine because, 1) he was a guy; and 2) he had a family to support. I was hacked. I gave my notice the next day.

That brings me to a bright spot email I received recently. I ordered some books through Amazon.com Marketplace where you pay Amazon, but the books come from another company. I received a shipping confirmation email with the standard verbiage: thanks for your order, this got shipped, it will arrive soon, come again.

But there at the bottom was a sig line, the likes of such I had never seen before. A sig line that shows this little company recognizes and appreciates the little guy. The little guy without whom the books would not arrive on my doorstep. The little guy who has a vested interest in my customer satisfaction. The little guy who is valued in this company.

This little company appreciates and honors all their "little guys" so much they include all their names in the email, including Buddy the Warehouse Cat. How cool is that???

Thank you once again from Sonja & Ed Mondazzi, Buddy & Staff............
Justin, Operations Manager, Techno Sound Engineer & Runs this place when Ed is away buying books and stuff.
Nicole, General Manager & Scientifically proven to be "Smarter" than Ed
Irene, Internet Manager & "Smartest" person Ed Knows!
Joanne, Inventory Manager & the "Silent Wisdom" for Ed
Leda, Shipping Expert & "Commentator"
Mike, Warehouse manager & Ed's Right Hand & Everyone's "Go to" Person
Sarah, Going to College and will be "Smarter" than Ed
John, Computer IT genius, Proofs Ed's E mails and needs a tan
Sonja, Wife of Ed, much "Better Looking" than Ed and plays with Buddy
Buddy, Internet Blogger, Boars Head Chicken favorite food (rejects store brands) and Loved by all :)
Ed, No one Knows what Ed does but he looks busy all the time:)

Mondazzi Books
570 Hayden Station Road
Windsor, CT 06095
(860) 285 0538

I would work there.

5 comments:

more cowbell said...

Wow. Now see, if more companies did that, they'd be amazed at the customer loyalty and how quickly popularity jumps with word of mouth recommendations from folks you know. That's very cool.

Doralong said...

I shall be buying something from these folks soon.. An owner that recognizes his or her staff and what they do to make the entire thing work is worth their price in gold. Somehow I'm betting Ed there is the first to spring for drinks on Friday..

rosemary said...

That is just plain old awesome. I might just stop blog trolling and visit the store.

Willym said...

That is truly amazing and shows the sign of someone old Mom Nature meant to be a manager - not one of these asshats whose been to Management 101 and couldn't motivate a tic let alone his staff. Ed and his business with flourish because they are all part of it.

Kimberly Ann said...

That really is impressive. You just don't see that kind of company loyalty and more's the pity.