Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Stink of Maple

We had bacon and eggs for supper last night. The bacon was "hardwood smoked maple" flavor. I didn't realize this when I grabbed it at the store or I never would have bought it. Instead of filling the house with the glorious smell of frying bacon, the house filled with the sickeningly sweet smell of maple syrup.

Supper was eighteen hours ago and the maple syrup smell is still in the air. It makes me wanna barf. Oh, and the bacon tasted like it had maple syrup on it which made it yucky too. Bacon is supposed to taste salty like manly-man meat, not sweet like pancakes.

I like eating maple syrup, I just can't take the smell. When we have pancakes the dishes get washed immediately. I can't even stand the smell lingering on a rinsed plate.

I don't know what it is with the maple smell and me. I don't remember being sickened by the smell as a child. Maybe we never ate maple syrup when I was little. I dunno. All I know is that sometime in the past ten years I have developed a pretty strong aversion to maple syrup smell.

Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem with stinky maple?

8 comments:

sageweb said...

I like the smell of maple syrup. Although I go through stages where some smells drive me nuts.

Anonymous said...

This is how I feel about pine scented cleaners and synthetic peach. They smell like cat piss to me.

Sling said...

I like the smell.
Whenever I work on maple cabinets,I can smell maple syrup...and hickory smells like hickory.
Cherry just smells like wood.
Go figure.

LostInColor said...

I'm hungry for some pancakes and bacon now.

Kimberly Ann said...

I gotta say that I love the smell of maple syrup and I love love love it on any meat product - bacon or otherwise. Maple sausage is my favorite. I just close my eyes and pretend not to know what is in the sausage. It is heavenly.

Br. Jonathan said...

I have this liqueur from Canada that's made from whiskey and maple syrup. It's wonderful (ask Lorraine). You sip it and first, you taste whiskey. And then. . . pancakes!

When I lived in way upstate New York, there would be maple syrup places beside the road. Then, as you got to the higher elevations, it would change to birch syrup places.
Birch syrup tastes like root beer.

more cowbell said...

I do love maple syrup on pancakes, but there is something about old maple syrup left on plates that smells like old pee ... like a little kid's dirty clothes pile or something. Ugh.

Also, it's amazing what a difference placement of a hyphen makes ... "manly-man meat" has a whole different connotation than "manly man-meat".

Kaza said...

I'm with ya. Love to eat it, but don't want the smell around. Maple bacon makes me crazy (in the bad way), especially if you microwave it and the smell wafts all through the house.