Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Magical Stuff in the Woods

When we were visiting Camp Tickville last week, I saw this bright little red and yellow thing sticking up out of the dead leaves. At first I thought it was a part from a child's toy. When I got closer I saw it was a strange little mushroom.

It was about four inches tall and looked for all the world like a Roma tomato stuck on top of a #2 yellow pencil.





This is brother-in-law trying to take a picture of it. This bright little thing looked kinda odd in the dullness of the woods. I mean the mushroom, not brother-in-law.



We have the buff white toadstools everywhere but this little critter was new to me. When I looked closer I could see they were all out in the woods.



They were kinda magical. I half expected some elfin creature to pop out from beneath them.

In one of the photos I can see the elfin Mushroom Guard with his quiver of feather arrows, his bow made of a pine needle, and his strange Chinese helmet.

No, we did not made mushroom tea. Thank you for asking.




The other magical thing out in the woods was this enormous petrified land tortoise rock.





I can imagine this guy lumbering along eons ago in the forests of Tarabithia, Arkansas, imparting his centuries-old wisdom on the young children who play there.

And no, you may not have some of my mushroom tea.

9 comments:

LostInColor said...

Tarabithia, nice. I love the tortoise rock! Love rocks, have a thing for them. Is this the same brother in law that poises for your hot dog comics? Because I am seeing a hot dog, with a camera, taking that picture....

Br. Jonathan said...

If those mushrooms were edible, you could sell them to Whole Foods Market and make a bundle. A mushroom like that would make the Whole Foods people just purr.

sageweb said...

Those mushrooms are wild..How cool, I wonder if you could eat them?

Speck said...

Lost - Good eye! Yep, that's Mr. Hotdog himself.

Buck - I could groove on being a professional mushroom hunter. What a cool job that would be.

Sage - Sure you could eat them. You might not wake up in the morning though. That's the tricky part.

Anonymous said...

Well you know I love those shrooms. Are you going to draw the elf guard? He sounds magical too.
And now I'm going to swipe your pic of the cluster and mess with it for my own sordid purposes. (as opposed to porpoises. Which are not tortoises. More tea please...)

morgetron said...

If you would have eaten it I bet it would've made you grow smaller ... or taller ... depending on which side you ate.

Speck said...

Hat - I've drawn him up, but I'm not happy with him. He's too something, but I haven't figured out what. One lump or two???

J. Mor - The hookah smoking caterpillar has given me a call.

Lorraine said...

Ok, those are some of the coolest looking things I've seen in a while. Awesome.

Willym said...

Amazing... love the tortoise rock - its right out of Pan's Labyrinth or Lord of the Rings.

We want the Mushroom warrior when he/she is done to your satisfaction. Maybe you and Hat could work on an animated cartoon for us?