Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Girl Scouts Now and Then

I've had Girl Scouts on the brain lately. When a topic pops up randomly three times in a row, it must be something I need to talk about.

First, Kimberly Ann was working towards earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges. Think Girl Scout badges for big girls. I thought it was an excellent program, but sadly, there were no actual badges for the effort. So I designed some just for fun for the projects KA was working on. (Designs here.) The white border is beginner level, yellow border is intermediate level, and green border is expert level. I tried to match the graphic to the requirements for each level.

I think earning adult merit badges is a fun and fabulous idea. I could come up with a whole bunch of others like Car Maintenance and Repair, Budgeting and Money Management, Plumbing, Lawn Care, Top-Shelf Margarita Making and other basic stuff adults need to learn to be grown-ups. Plus, we could go camping some too.

Second, Hat and I had a long conversation about Girl Scouts when we were growing up. Mainly I ranted a lot and Hat listened, but still, there it was.

Then the next evening CBS News had a story "Girl Scouts Get Makeover." They are now getting into things like robotics, environmental issues, techno-recycling and other more urbanized pursuits. Sigh. The whole point of Girl Scouts was to get girls into the great outdoors. The new techie-ness doesn't sound very outdoorsy.

I once overheard a scout's mom lament that Girl Scouts weren't allowed to go camping anymore because it was too dangerous. So her daughter's troop "camped out" in the school gymnasium with their hair dryers and iPods. Sheesh. A Girl Scout should to learn to pee in the woods like God intended without getting snake bitten or picking up chiggers. A girl needs to know these things.

The reporter in the news program asked the girls why they weren't in uniforms. They replied that they didn't like uniforms; freedom of expression and all. The reporter told the girl she was a radical girl scout and the girl said, "Thank you." I don't think the reporter meant that as a compliment.

The "we don't like uniforms" comment set my teeth on edge. Part of being a scout is belonging to the group and doing things as a group. A uniform shows membership in the group and reinforces the sense of belonging to something larger than yourself you little spoiled, self-centered, egotistical brat. Grrrrrr.

An interesting factoid in the news story was that only one in ten girls was a Girl Scout, but 70% of American congresswomen and 80% of American businesswomen were Girl Scouts. See what learning to pee in the woods will lead to?

(Warning: long rambling walk down memory lane coming.)

I was, of course, a Girl Scout and remained in scouting for as long as possible. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED being a Girl Scout and everything about scouting (except selling cookies). Meetings were the highlight of my week during the school year, and the summer campouts and jamborees were heaven on earth.

I was fortunate to have an energetic, creative troop leader who stayed with our troop throughout our scouting career. She was *the* Girl Scout lady for our county and stayed in scouting long after all her daughters were grown and gone. I still call her every now and then and keep in touch.

I started as a Brownie in second grade (they didn't have Daisy Scouts back then) and kept at it until ninth grade. After that, nobody wanted to be a Senior Scout but me. All the other girls got interested in boys and makeup and stuff and dropped out.

And for the record, I LOVED wearing the uniform with all the pins and badges and googahs on it. I was PROUD to wear it. Here I am as a Brownie. Woo Hoo! Front page news, lead story! Look at those white gloves!


We wore our uniforms to school on meeting days. It's hard to see in this picture, but the Brownie uniform had a long orange tie. Daddy taught me to tie a Half-Windsor knot for neckties when I was in second grade and I had to tie all my boyfriend's ties all my life. I still tie Hubby's to this day.

If it happened to be soup day at school when we were wearing our uniforms, the lunch lady who handed out the greasy homemade yeast rolls (Yum!) and milk would lean over and carefully tuck our ties into the front placket of the uniform so they wouldn't drag in the soup. I would just beam when she did that. I thought it was sooooo cool.

Here I am at an awards ceremony as a Junior Scout. See all my badges? Yes, I loved earning badges. I loved the uniform beret too. I thought that was a cool hat.


And here I am as a Cadette at a campout.


The Cadettes were the workhorses at campouts. We had to set up all the tents, dig the la-las, and raise the flagpole. We also helped the troop leaders who had the little Brownies. Those tents were a mother to set up too. They were huge heavy canvas things that required at least four people to get them up. I still remember how to set one up, but that knowledge is archaic now with the new-fangled lightweight springpole numbers.

We lashed together tables, made sit-upons, pressed wildflowers, and cooked bacon and eggs on top of a tin can. We sang songs around the campfire. One I still hum to myself called "Barges." It was a round. Do Girl Scouts still sing rounds??

We whittled stuff too. Every Girl Scout was required to carry a pocket knife at all times. Would you let your second-grader carry a pocketknife? No? I didn't think so. We swatted skeeters and squealed at snakes and learned to pee in the woods. It was a magical time in my life.

I still want to be a Girl Scout. Do they have Brownies for big girls? I'll wear the beanie and everything...

14 comments:

Pusher Robot said...

Don't get me started! I have 4 girls who are/have been in GS. My wife has been a leader for years. Even I was a registered GS. It annoyed me to no end when they started making "fashionable" options for the uniform. Everyone looked different and then they stopped looking like uniforms all together! Camping was always fun. The girls were taught how to use knives, tie knots, observe things in nature and build their own fire and cook all assortment of campfire foods. We started them camping as soon as absolutely possible.
Recently we moved and my youngest (she's 11) ended up in a different troop. She was extremely disappointed when she learned that they had never been camping and the one day they went camping all the girls jumped out of the vehicles and ran every which way leaving the parents to get their gear! This would have never happened in my wife's troop and my daughter knowing better collected all her own gear to carry it. It pains me to see the direction GS is going! :(
(Sorry about the LONG comment)

Br. Jonathan said...

Lovely post! I really enjoyed it.

I was in Cub Scouts for one week and quit. I was too busy showing my cousin, Janna, how to operate her Easy Bake oven properly.

LostInColor said...

Wow! I never knew you were famous. Front page news and everything!!

sageweb said...

I was in the girlscouts for a short time...my Mom pulled me out..thinking it could be a devil cult. And the fact I was not allowed to eat any of the refreshments at the meetings...because of sugar and devil things my Mom thunk up. Oh well. I liked it cuz I was around girls..and that to me was awesome..even as a little girl.

Anonymous said...

This was such a wonderful post. I love strolling down your memory lane. *peeeench* (pinching your cheeks)

Kimberly Ann said...

Oh I love this post and not just for the fabulous badges you created (which totally rock and with which I promise to create a gorgeous embroidered/crochet wonder that I shall photograph and send to you).

But I digress. I did Scouts too but my scout leader wasn't nearly as cool as yours and thus my interest flagged after brownies. I do still remember wearing my uniform to school and the pride in getting recognition for learning something new. As much as we'd all like to think we're over that stuff, we aren't. And IMHO we shouldn't be. The day we stop learning stuff, sharing that we learned it and be proud about our knowledge is the day we all start down the road toward the humans in "Wall-E" (check out that movie for some apocalyptic funny).

Wow, I've rambled on way tooooo long. Lord knows I've earned my badge in droning long long ago.

rosemary said...

I was a Girl Scout but in California...we didn't do camping...we got badges for ice skating, cooking (how I EVER got that one is a mystery), painting, ceramics and dancing....yea, California. I gave my sash, badges, handbook and the one article that had my name in it to my granddaughter. My troop leader? Mildred Hildenbrand...the name should say it all.

p.alan said...

I was a Cub Scout. I loved it. Now that I'm grown and would love to be a Den Father, or some other type of volunteer... I realize I can't. I'm not allowed.

Too bad. I could teach those boys how to prepare a 3 course gourmet breakfast over fire..........

Willym said...

My family was big into scounting - my brother was a scounting star who then became a leader. Dad headed the fathers support group - I forget what it was called - and my mother was on the Mothers' Auxilary. I was a good little cub scout and after I became a Boy Scout and cubbing assistant.

It was fun - like Sage I enjoyed being surrounded by other boys, particularly at camp but lets not go into that.

Let's just say I learned a lot in Scouts and for stuff poor old Lord Baden Powell wouldn't have even thought of giving badges for!!!!!

booda baby said...

Wait. Are you giving badges for Woods Peeing? I'm pretty good at it. I'm really, really good, though, at Pub Speed Peeing. That's definitely for the advanced. Although, there are always those times when it would be easier to just slap on a pair of diapers and regress with abandon.

I love so much these gangs of Scouts and what they learn. Some people snip that they're paramilitary operations and I think well, maybe, but probably not and even so, that beats not knowing how to do anything.

Speck said...

Pusher - I feel your pain. Things just ain't what they used to be. (I feel like my grandma when I say that.)

Buck - You are hereby awarded the Lightbulb Cooking badge.

Lost - Not so famous. Growing up in a small town you git yer pitcher in the paper a lot.

Sage - Wow! Never heard the Girl Scouts were a devil cult. That's a new one. Too bad you weren't allowed to continue on in scouting. You would have had a blast.

Hat - You are toooo sweet.

KA - I'm with you girl on learning new things. I'm getting to the age I also want to teach somebody the few things I know. Sharing the knowledge is part of the fun.

Rosemary - It's a wonder old Mildred didn't make y'all were white gloves and take tea all the time. Sheesh.

Alan - It pisses me right off that you aren't allowed to volunteer. All boys should be taught how to cook, and cook wonderfully. I love a man in an apron.

Willym - You naughty boy. (grin) I can see your little devil horns sprouting from here. Tee hee.

Booda - I've never seen a Boy Scout or a Girl Scout with an AK-47, have you? And (evil grin), have I got something for you.

Anonymous said...

I remember the orange tie, but I don't recall tying it in a knot to the collar....kinda like the ties girls wear as part of their FFA uniform. It goes around the neck and is centered to the top button of the collar, although many girls don't wear it right and leave their collar unbuttoned or leave a big gap between the tie and their collar.

Carol P said...

I'm looking at your Cadette picture and remembering having to wear a HAT the entire time at camp. It was a big mystery to me at the time. Now, having done Camp Training (okay, even that was a few years back) I get that it's to keep sparks out of your hair. But ALL DAY??? Even at day camp, where there was no fire!

As a recently retired leader I can assure you camping is still alive and well in our Council.

more cowbell said...

Loved the post and the pics. In the Junior pic, you look like you know something the rest of them don't.

I was a Brownie as a little girl, but didn't like it. All those crafts -- we all know I didn't get the craft gene. We never got to camping.

Teen Demon's new boyfriend is finishing up his Eagle Scout project.