Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Last Sunday Sermon

Nine months ago I embarked on a personal journey of discovery. I wanted to learn more about Christianity. I read, studied, and pondered...and got very, very mad in the process.

My opinion is that Christianity is very simple and beautiful, but has been turned into something complicated and ugly. It's no wonder folks are leaving churches in droves. I decided to abandon this study because it was making my life toxic. Where I should have been serene, I was homicidal. I wanted to wring a few necks. Arrrggghhh!

So I am closing all the versions of all the Bibles I own and putting them back on the shelf to collect dust. I will no longer be looking up verses trying to follow asinine religious debates. No more Bible thumpin' for me. All I need to know about the Bible I learned in kindergarten and can be summed up in ten words:

Play fair, don't hit, share, love your neighbor, love God.

I think I will start my own church, The Cathedral of Stars. It will meet every night on my front porch. I will be pondering on the above ten words in the stillness of midnight.

You are welcome to join me under the Cathedral of Stars...on your own front porch, in your own midnight stillness.


Amen.

1 comment:

Br. Jonathan said...

Someone once said that the Catholic church has done a great job when it came to spirituality, but a horrible job when it came to religion.
I like that.