Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

Breaking in the Sketchbook

So, I have a new sketchbook. What should I put in there? In my brain a sketchbook is a place for doodles, just bits and pieces of stuff that float around. Maybe a place to try out different drawing techniques. My dilemma was whether or not doodles would be worthy of a leather bound volume with fine papers.

Golly, I've seen other artist's sketchbooks and they seem to do complete artwork in their sketchbooks. I don't quite understand that because the artwork is forever bound in a book and most of it spans two pages. How would you ever display that? Would you want to display that? So I pondered on these things for a day or two.

I finally decided that an empty sketchbook was worthless. It had to have something in it. So I decided to write or draw whatever was on my mind. I don't think there are "rules" for what is supposed to be contained in there, so I was free to make up my own rules.

Rule #1: Write/draw something every day.

Rule #2: Lead free

Lead free means no pencil sketches that will later be inked. It means drawing with ink *only*, so if there are boo-boos, the boo-boos are there to stay. No "go-backs." I'm not getting graded on this stuff after all. Lead free will also make me think a little bit before the pen hits the paper. It will force me to "see" what I'm about to draw and really study it. I need to get it right the first time. Re-drawing takes a lot of time and saps the joy out of drawing.

I opened the sketchbook and wrote "Speck's Sketchbook" on the first page and drew a box around it. At the bottom of the page I noted who had given me the book and the date. Phew! No mistakes so far. On the next page I wrote the story of the digital tablet and the surprise sketchbook. So far so good.

Then I faced a blank page. Now what? I remembered a comment from Yellowdog Granny, (paraphrased) "If you can draw a horse's ass, you can draw McCain." So I wrote that at the top of the page for inspiration. I tried to draw McCain as a horse's butt. I didn't do too well in the attempt. I changed pens to a finer point one hoping it would help. Hey, if ya can't draw something, blame it on the pen.

The new pen didn't help but it was much more fun to draw with. I let the pen draw whatever it wanted and just sat back for the ride. Here's the result:



There are clips of some of my favorite doodles here if you're interested in seeing some of these close up. I took the best horse's butt McCain sketch and cleaned it up digitally for you Yellerdawg. Oh, and I drew him with short, stubby arms for Sageweb too.

The rest of the doodles are kinda steampunky. I draw nuts and bolts on things that shouldn't have them. Most of my creations would go well in a Myst game.

I've done pretty good with Rule #2 so far. Rule #1 is already slipping. Oh well, such is my boring life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live off the talent of others, kind of like some people need oxygen.

You just kept me alive for another day.

Doralong said...

Rules, pfft.. Do it when the spirit moves you! Just make sure you keep sharing with he rest of us ;)

sageweb said...

yeah...no rules...just keep showing us your talent...so we can say...we knew Speck before she was famous.

LostInColor said...

Drawing everyday is good practice, especially when one is spewing from the right side of the brain. I think the sketchbook needs to be used, for any stuff.. writing, drawing, drawing techniques... so long as you are using it, it will be happy...not empty. Keep sharing your stuff, it is all good!

yellowdoggranny said...

i'm so flattered that i inspired you to draw horses ass mccain...and it's perfect looking..he's a perfect horses ass..
i love your doodles...

Speck said...

JP - Thanks JP. I think that's about the sweetest comment anyone has ever left.

Dora - tee hee. If that's what you *really* want. Hoo boy.

Sage - I'll thank you all in the acknowledgements when I finally get around to writing that book.

Lost - More spew is on the way. Put on your safety goggles.

YDG - You give me so many ideas I can't draw them all. Glad you liked McCain.