Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

New Toys

Blogger buddy Lost in CO kept bugging me to get a digital drawing tablet. She assured me I would love it. I believed her but money is tight right now and the smallest one costs over $100. Really nice ones with graphics software hit around the $800 mark. "Buy a used one!" she says. "I got mine at a yard sale!"

Well, since no store within a 300 mile radius sells these things, the chances of finding a used one were zero. "No problem!" says Lost, "I've got a friend who will sell you one cheap!"

Not only did the ever-bubbly Lost acquire a used tablet from the friend, she downloaded the drivers, found some graphics software, tested it out on two different computers, then packaged it up and sent it across the country.

My new toy! Woot! It came with an electronic pen and a six-button mouse that I haven't yet figured out what all the buttons are for.



I've become an electronic crackhead with this thing. I don't eat, I don't sleep; all I do is draw. Endorphins are spewing from the right side of my brain. Heaven!

The Obama-McCain political cartoons were all done using this and I was able to tidy up some old pen-n-ink drawings too. I've been experimenting with the settings trying to get the cleanest drawings possible. The Waiter Brought a Tray drawing came out nice and crisp. Woo Hoo!

The ever-bubbly Lost also included a surprise in the box...a GORGEOUS leather sketchbook.



When I opened the box and saw it, the digital tablet was temporarily forgotten. I held the sketchbook to my nose to inhale the rich smell of the leather, and fondled all over the thick, creamy pages. Ooohhhh....art supply orgasm. Then I sat in the middle of the floor, hugged it to my breast, and had myself a good weep.

Lost probably never imagined a chunk of cowhide and wood pulp would elicit such a response. Yes, I love the new digital tablet. It will be a useful tool for a good while, but eventually it will become obsolete and get replaced. The sketchbook however will be CHERISHED forever. I will drag it around with me until the day I die. It will hold all my little brain secrets and will never be obsolete or go out of style. It is a truly magnificent gift.

Thank you Lost for you thoughtfulness and generosity. You will never know how much this gift healed my tattered soul.

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

friends are like gems

lost in colorado is a good 'un....i can't wait to see all the drawings done with your new toy...also while im thinking of it..do you know who david em is?...he does computer art..and i have a book by him and it's been sitting on my book shelf...for fecking ever..you want it?..it's yours...send me address and will mail it out after westfest weekend..

Willym said...

Kudos to Lost, and we wait expectantly for the first creation.

LostInColor said...

Yippee Skiippy!! You are churning out some wonderful pieces! Electronic crackhead!! Ha! Isn't it wonderful to be spewing from the right side of the brain?? Glad you liked the surprise. :) :) Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

Speck said...

YD Granny - Ooooh thanks! I would love to have the book. Will send info.

Willym - The political cartoons were all done digitally as well as the waiter drawing. Tee Hee! I'm SO glad you couldn't tell they were digital. That makes me happy.

Lost - Spewing crackhead, that's me. I worked the pen & paper Sunday and that was a barrel of spew too.

Anonymous said...

Lost rocks. I'm giving her 3 cheers.

And a few cheers to you as well for sharing your creativity with us.

Oh, and I also just like saying the word "tablet."

sageweb said...

wow how did I miss this post. That Lost is something else. Has she shown you her sketches???...they are very good also. All the talent on the interwebs is amazing.