Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sheetrocking, Part 2

Holy Cow! I never finished with the rest of the sheetrocking story. Pfft!

So Hubby and I arrive at the farmhouse to find the yard dogs toting around a dead bunny. Add another dead critter to the list. The bunny didn't have a mark on him so the dogs must have run him to death.

Poor bunny. I felt so bad for him, really I did. He was out there in the woods, minding his own business, getting himself a little bunny breakfast, and the stupid yard dogs run him down for no good reason.

And yes, they're pretty stupid. Their names are Who Me? and Why Not?, so named because of the perpetual dork look on their faces. The vet's office thinks the names are a hoot.

So we go in and get the sheetrock hung in the living room. Hubby is keen to start taping and mudding, but his momma decides she wants all new sheetrock in her bedroom and wants the "homemade" closet torn out.

The farmhouse was built by a little old man using lumber he cut from the property. He didn't know doodley-squat about home construction so nothing is done to standard. It's a nightmare to try to do any repairs to the place. We can only dream about studs being 16 inches on center. There's not one in the whole place.

So we tear out the whonky closet. This involves crowbars, sledgehammers, and a reciprocating saw. Lots and lots of banging noises and screeching saws. We get the structure down and most of it hauled out but there is still a huge pile of crap in the middle of the floor.

It's hot, dusty work, so I take a break and head for the kitchen for something wet to drink. Hubby is still in the bedroom banging down the rest of the sheetrock on the exterior wall.

In just a few minutes we hear Hubby yelp. We can tell there is something bad wrong. It wasn't the type of yelp where something nasty like a mouse poop has fallen on your head. That's actually a common occurrence when we open up the walls at the farm. One day I will probably contract hanta virus out there.

This was a yelp like I-need-help-now-get-in-here. We go running in the bedroom and Hubby is on the far side of the room white as a sheet.

"What's wrong??? Are you OK? Are you hurt?"

He can only point to where we had been working. I look and see nothing. No blood. That's a Good Thing. I look back at him.

"Down there", he says and points again. "I yelled 'Snake!'"

I peer over the pile of sheetrock debris and see this....


...motionless.


"Is it alive?" I asked, trying to size up the threat level. I couldn't imagine a snake would have hung around with all that banging and sawing going on. He would have had ample opportunity to depart before we exposed him to daylight. I figured he was dead. Dead critters in the walls are also not that unusual at the farm.

Then it moved!

It was a big, muscley, meaty slither. This sucker was very much alive and quite healthy.

I SCREEEEEEEAMED like a girl, me being a girl and all, and ran out of the room.

Hubby's yelling after me, "Get the camera, get the camera!"

I retrieve the camera from the truck and come back in to snap a picture. The snake still hasn't moved from the hole in the wall. As I'm trying to focus Hubby keeps urging me to get closer. Oh not no but hell no. The camera has a zoom and that's all the close I need to get.

"What kind of snake is it honey?"

"BIG DAMN WALL SNAKE!"

The big damn wall snake was toted outside on the tip of a very long brush ax.

Add one more critter to the list.

Poor snake. I felt so bad for him, really I did. He was curled up in the wall, minding his own business, getting himself a little snake nap, when a stupid yard husband comes along....

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lead a much more exciting life than I do. And that's fine with me! LOL! The most unusual things we've ever found in the walls when remodeling are razor blades and cigarette butts.

THAT was one HUGE snake! Eeek!

sageweb said...

Oh you are so funny. That yard husband of yours is brave. What a great story. I would have screamed and ran my ass back to california.

rosemary said...

damn...a snake? I would have been out of there in a flash and not to get the camera. Hubby would have been on his own....I don't do bugs, snakes and other critters well.

LostInColor said...

Did you figure out what kind of snake it was? Snakes are good, they eat rodents ya know. And do you really have hanta virus there in Arkansas? I've heard of cases in CO and NM, but not Arkansas.

Speck said...

Karen - 5 feet long. He was a big boy. I'm guessing it was a boy.

Sage - I picture you as a brush ax swinger type of girl after the initial shock of snake discovery. Can't imagine you screaming away from anything, especially a little bitty ol' five-foot chicken snake.

Rosie - Same goes for you too. I'll bet you could swing a sling blade when you got right down to it.

Lost - It was a black chicken snake...a good kinda snake to have around a farm, just not in the bedroom. I'm powerful sorry for the loss of it. I don't know if we actually have hanta virus in AR, but it crosses my mind every time we find a pile of little black pellets. Ugh, ugh, ugh, but that's life out in the country.

Sling said...

It's a common Blacksnake.
They are prodigious vermin hunters in the wild,non-poisonous,and also make very interesting pets!..
Or it's a freakin' black adder!..ruthless in it's cunning,and deadly in it's consequence!
..one or the other.

Anonymous said...

The snake was good reason to believe the house likely has mice. A few rat poison bait blocks could have been placed in the wall cavity, for good measure.

I yelped much like husband last weekend. It was emitted from the attic. Pesty little things don't usually bother me, but this was the largest Black Widow I have ever seen. Now that I've bombed the attic appropriately, i.e. enough poison to kill a herd of cattle, I can feel safe up there.

Karen... sounds like your construction crew was either very well shaven, had suicidal tendencies, or 'maaaaaybe' had a slight liking to their coca...?

more cowbell said...

Holy Slithering Snakes, batgirl! THat ain't no gardner snake either.

I keep meaningn to blog about the time my mom chopped a rattlesnake in half with an axe when we lived on a farm in Kansas.

Chickie said...

Just looking at that snake makes my hiney cringe. Eeek!

Miss Healthypants said...

Shiver...shiver...shiver...cringe.....

No, I do not like snakes. You were brave to come back in there with the camera. :)

Speck said...

Sling - It was probably deadly Black Adder who had escaped the evil clutches of Cleopatra during her spring visit to the farm. Or was that an asp she had??? Humm...

p.alan - Out in the country little furry and slithery critters are a never ending battle. Yep, there is going to be an occasional visitor in the house. You just have to learn to live with it. Yuck. I'm glad I'm a city girl.

Speck said...

Cowbell - Oh, do tell! If it had been a rattlesnake you can bet Hubby would have been screaming away like a girl too.

Chickie - This from a woman with a freeze-dried dog on the coffeetable. :)

Miss HP - Hubby was standing guard with a sharp implement of destruction. Otherwise I wouldn't have been so brave.

Br. Jonathan said...

See? That's ANOTHER reason I like living 500 feet off the ground.

Anonymous said...

um... why did ya kill it if you got it outside? Or did you kill it before you took it outside?

Anonymous said...

I just re-read the post, sounds like maybe you let it live?

Speck said...

Buck - You have a point.

Otter - He was mortally wounded in order to get him outside then was (sob!) finished off outside. If we could have figured out any way to get him outside unharmed we would have.

He became somebody's breakfast the next day because he disappeared. Even though human muddling mucked things up, the circle of life continued.

That's my juicy rationalization for the day anyway.