Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Diarrheagram Oil Derrick

Here is what you do when you have too much time on your hands.



This is (obviously) an oil derrick. I made it for some project at Hubby's school.

I looked up photos of old wooden oil derricks to develop a pattern, then kinda fudged around with the measurements to find a happy proportion. I was afraid I was in over my head and had made it too detailed, but without all that detail it would have looked cheesy. It ended up having 164 parts and taking the better part of two days to build. I'm really proud of it because it came out just like I had envisioned it. That's rare.

Hubby and I were dancing around with glee because his oil derrick will be the best piece in the "diarrheagram", his scornful word for diorama. He hates dioramas, especially the ones made in pizza boxes, but I digress.

As we stood admiring the finished product, I said, "I have far too much time on my hands."

Hubby replied, "We need to get a life."

We have a life, it's just waaaay different from everybody else's.

No comments: