Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Diarrheagram Variety Store

The next in the series....

Start with this photo of Main St., Smackover, Ark., c. 1922:


Add 105° heat and a mild case of creative insanity, and ya get this, a model of the first building on the left:





Yep, waaaaaay too much time on my hands.

Actually I bought a box fan to beat the heat. The empty cardboard box started calling, "Cut me, glue me, paint me!"

The heat must be getting to me when inanimate objects start talking.

Must go get water.



UPDATE:
Sissy says I must show the scale of these diarrheagram structures. OK, fair enough.



That is a U.S. quarter on the front porch. The building is roughly 5" x 5" and 5" tall at the peak of the roof.

The raised-panel front doors are tongue depressors, as is the store sign. The roof is corrugated cardboard with one flat side ripped away. The porch posts are 1/8" balsa wood. The porch deck and building corner timbers are 1/4" "skinny craft sticks" (says the label on the bag.) The little crate on the porch is 1/8" square balsa wood, quartered to 1/16" square. Micro-tweezers were required to glue that bad boy together.

The oil derrick is 11.5" tall to the top of the structure; 13.5" tall including the oil spurties. The base is 4" square.

No comments: