Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Arty Stuff

I've been obsessing this week on arty stuff. I figured blogging endlessly about arty stuff would run off the few intrepid readers, so I saved it all up for one big summary post.




I was looking at some other people's arty stuff on-line and I saw a painting this lady had done of aspen leaves. It had lots of bright colors and she used bright blue and bright orange for the bark of the tree. I've been trying to draw things too realistically lately and wouldn't have given myself permission to use bright blue for a tree. I decided I would draw and paint me some blue trees dammit.

When I sit on my front porch, the view of my neighbor's house is framed beautifully by the two little live oaks in our front yard. It's a scene I've been meaning to sketch, so I thought I would draw it and make the trees blue. When I got the rough sketch down I decided the little house was too boring if the trees were blue. It needed some whimsy. So I made it into a little hobbit house with curved walls, round windows, and a thatched roof...and a Hobbit Accord in the driveway.

I got it all inked and was very proud of the result.



But I'm not a painter. I didn't want to mess up this perfectly charming drawing with a lot of messy paint. And it would be messy if I painted it, trust. So I scanned the drawing then printed it on watercolor paper using my laser printer. I painted on the copy instead of the original then re-inked the whole thing. It came out a little coloring book looking, but I think it's OK for my second watercolor ever.






The challenge this week for the sketch group was "Extreme Close-up." Folks were supposed to guess what the drawing was. Here's my entry, can you guess what it is?

I was originally planning on doing this drawing with colored pencils. My heart wasn't in it so I abandoned it and started a fresh sketch using a ballpoint pen. I *love* doing pen and ink drawings. I guess technically ballpoint isn't pen and ink, but I don't know what else to call it.

Anyway, I retrieved the first sketch (I was going to throw it away) and decided to use it for watercolor pencil practice. I scribbled on the colors and swooshed them with water and it was kind of meh. Added more pencil, swished some more water, and it was still meh.

Finally broke out the liquid watercolors and went after it with a brush. I finally got enough color on it and it came to life. Not half bad for my third attempt at watercolor.


Me no likey watercolors. They do things I don't understand. The color doesn't stay put and the paper crinkles up and wah, wah, wah. I didn't like watercolors as a kid, and I still don't like them much now. But, I'm trying to expand my horizons. So I keep practicing.

One of the guys in the sketch group kept insisting the extreme close-up was a hook for airships. LOL! I thought that was an imaginative guess if nothing else. So I drew him a hook for airships. Painted it with watercolors for the practice. This would be watercolor #4.





I purchased a cheap little journal for $3.00 two weeks ago and have been writing all my deepest, darkest secrets in it. For such a cheap journal it has amazingly nice paper in it. It seemed a shame to just write words and only words in there. I thought I would give a go to the "illustrated journal" concept that a lot of the folks in the sketch group do. My entry for today:


I *hate* doing laundry. I got the whites washed, but they're still in there wet. Sigh. It's now 2:20 a.m. and I won't have clean, dry drawers for tomorrow. Sigh.




This evening at dusk I was standing out on my front porch and the neighborhood church chimes began to ring. It was a magical moment. You could almost hear the world stop for just a moment to listen. How cool.

I pondered if there was a way to adequately capture the sound and magic of the chimes in some arty way. If there is, I'm too dull to figure it out. I decided to try to capture the chilly lavender sunset framed by the blackness of the neighbor's house and trees. Maybe with that painting I could remember the magic of the chimes. Watercolor #5.






All of these drawings have been uploaded to my Flickr account that I had to open when I joined the "Everyday Matters" sketch group. On Flickr you can click to embiggen each drawing in a really, really big way to see details. You can also see the comments made by the sketch group members on each of my doodles. If you wanna go look at all that, here is a link to my photostream (aka home page) on Flickr:

Specklin on Flickr

I had to use the nickname Specklin 'cuz Speck was already taken. Phooey.




And that was my week - chock full o' arty goodness.

Yours?

9 comments:

LostInColor said...

I'm having difficulty getting my sketch on. :(

Kimberly Ann said...

Watercolor is amazing but baffles me to no end. It seems like the epitome of chaos rather than control.

rosemary said...

Is it a wrench of some sort???? My week was full of cherry cordials and tears that have been happening for months off and on....I am old and sad and full of cherries i guess. You drawings/colorings are as usual wondrous!

sageweb said...

Just dont wear clothes...it saves money and you won't have to do laundry.

My guess on the close-up, it is a hinge to a contraption of some sort..that secretly creates dirty laundry.

Love your drawings and paintings. You are one talented lady.

LostInColor said...

oh your flickr badge on your sidebar is cool. and I didn't guess because I know the answer! hee hee.

Miss Healthypants said...

I think you do a good job with paints, too! I'm so jealous!!--I don't have an "arty" bone in my body!--unless you count music as art. *smiles*

My guess on the close up is a knife set with knife handles sticking out. Am I anywhere close to the right answer?? :)

Oh, and I HATE doing laundry, too! :)

Speck said...

Lost - It's all those ab crunches you've been doing. It takes some adjustment to turn into a sketching couch potato.

KA - Exactly! It *is* chaos. Since I'm such a control freak I'm freaking at not being able to control what's happening. Must.chill.out.

Rosemary - Not a wrench. Cherry cordials sound pretty good. Being full of cherries doesn't sound so bad either. Life is just a bowl of cherries.

Sage - Me not wearing clothes is a scary, scary thought. Eeek! Age and gravity have not been kind.

Not a hinge. If it was a thingy that creates dirty laundry it most definitely would not be in my house.

Miss HP - Music is art, absolutely! And I am jealous that you can make music. I wasn't blessed with a music making gene. All I got was the music appreciation gene. And nope, it's not a knife.

ANSWER: It is a close-up of one half of the springy blade cartridge holder thingy on a Gillette Atra razor. Actual part shown is 1/2" x 1/2".

Here's a photo of the actual thing.

Sling said...

I'm a huge fan of your artwork Speck! :)

I was going to guess that your close-up is a car door latch assembly...but I see that's not the case.

rosemary said...

well, crap....I was hoping I could win a prize. Life can also be a bowl full of cherry pits.....makes me think of the Witches of Eastwick....I am feeling witchy and pitty lately.