Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

Touch the Money

I joined an on-line sketching group called "Everyday Matters." They have a weekly challenge to draw ordinary objects around the house. Since I'm such a hermit I thought that would be right up my alley.

This week's challenge was to draw paper money. The moderator said it would be interesting to see all the different kinds of money from around the world. Hubby has a small collection of international coins and paper money so I got him to dig it out. I picked a dozen of the prettiest and most interesting bills and laid them out to start the sketch.

My brain apparently was a bit Type-A with this challenge and decided a quick sketch wasn't going to be good enough. It turned out to be a full-blown art project.

I seriously underestimated the time it would take to draw 12 monies. I could only get about two done per day before my eyeballs exploded. I have a whole new appreciation for counterfeiters.

More than once I thought I would just give up and call it done. I pulled a Herculean drawing session last night and finally finished. I'll get to that in a minute but first I want to tell you a story.

I'm still a little kid at heart and when I draw I crave instant gratification of praise and encouragement. When I finish a drawing I squeal at Hubby, "Wanna see?" He, of course, has the patience of Job so he always say yes.

After each bill was finished I would trot over with the sketchbook and lay the real dollar next to the drawing for comparison. He would coo appropriately and pat me on the fanny and say, "Very nice" because, ya know, he has the patience of Job and knows with appropriate pacification I'll cook him dinner.

So, I finish the third bill in the series (the red and yellow Philippines one) and trot it over to him.


Instead of the usually nonchalant, "Very nice", he sits up, puts on his glasses, intently studies the drawing for a minute, then runs his finger across it.

"Why did you touch it like that???"

"I thought you had glued a color photocopy to the page and I was feeling for the edge."

Wheeeee! That's some high praise there. If someone thinks you faked it, you're doing a good job. It made my day. He got chicken fried steak for dinner that night.

Here is the finished drawing with all its warts and glory. (Click to embiggen)



Some of my favorite bits are these two portraits. They are the size of a thumbprint to give you some idea of the scale. This is some eyeball-killin' work with a ballpoint pen, lemme tell ya what.





And I really liked how this temple came out. It's about the size of a thumbprint too.



For the next EDM drawing challenge I don't think I will be so ambitious. My old eyeballs just can't take it.

19 comments:

R K said...

Really nice detailing and verbal descriptions of your process. Welcome to EDM.

LostInColor said...

Very nicely done, what details! I still think you are a counterfeiter tho! ;) My eyes get tired lately too. Some of the older tech's (at my work) wear these magnified glasses things, I want to swipe me a pair to see if that helps...

kazumiwannabe said...

Absolutely, totally awesome. I saw it on flickr and came again to admire this! Nice to see the different stages of your drawing, and some close ups, too. Really fabulous work!

LostInColor said...

oh I think EDM sounds perfect for you!

sageweb said...

Wow that is amazing! I just love other countries money. It is so pretty. I am just blown away how great they turned out.

Willym said...

That is soooooo cool! Been a year since I saw a John A. on a Canadian bill! Now if I once again praise your talent you're going to get all swelled headed and everything... oh what the hell you got talent there lady...

Lynn said...

That's an amazing drawing! Your eye for detail is exceptional. Welcome to the EDM group!

booda baby said...

Speck, they're gor plus geous!!

How's your tablet working for you?

I have loads in my head but for some reason, only the above is coming out. That's probably good.

I'm going to have to send this off and go hunt down your weekly funnies. I'm missing them. Please oh please tell me you're still doing them!!

rosemary said...

AWESOME......the money drawing and your hubby. sounds like a cool group to be a part of. Steve has a really neat collection of foreign money and I find the details fascinating....you really captured all of that.

Speck said...

Lost - Ohhhh. Magnifying specs sound wonderful. I could use some of those.

Sage - Yep, other nations have way more interesting money than we do. A pink and orange fiver would be more fun to spend.

Willym - Thanks darlin'. You're my biggest fan. Many hugs to you.

Booda - Love the tablet. Just got the graphics software to work last night. Still have to experiment with it.

No weekly funnies lately, sorry 'bout that. The idea well is kinda dry.

Rosie - Thanks. Hubby is rather awesome to put up with me and my shenanigans.

EDMers - Thanks for stopping by and commenting. EDM seems like a fun place to play!

Rock & kazumi - I like reading and seeing the "process" of creating artwork. I wish more people would do it.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Welcome to EDM and what a terrific blog you have!! You've done an incredible job on your "monies" and I can see why your DH would question whether you pasted a "real" one on your project!! Ummm, where exactly is "lower" AR?

Speck said...

Brenda - "Lower Arkansas" would technically be anything south of Little Rock and north of Louisiana. It's more a state of mind and a place in the heart than an actual location.

Lisa Adams Reed said...

I am speechless over your money! And, welcome to EDM!
Lisa

yellowdoggranny said...

wow...
no really..
wow...
you're so very very talented..I'm really impressed..

Miss Healthypants said...

You are so talented!--these are so great!! :)

And I understand about the praise--I think we all are like little kids inside...we are never too old to enjoy a genuine compliment. :)

Sling said...

You are dangerously talented speck!..
absolutely stunning work!

Br. Jonathan said...

I am absolutely amazed. That type of talent is just beyond me.

I glanced at your blog while I was at Lorraine's and had no idea you had actually DRAWN these bills!

. . . do I get chicken fried steak?

Kimberly Ann said...

You absolutely positively with no equivocation ROCK.

Sandy said...

WHOEEE this is Amazing work, exploding eyes and all, I am with your Hubby (and hope he enjoyed the special dinner :-)