Pages

Friday, October 24, 2008

Trifecta of Nothingness

Big sigh. I'm still stuck in arty mode so my wordy mode is on the wan. I've been doing illustrated journal entries on the mundane happenings in my life and I've got a post every day for those. I guess my life was always mundane and I just didn't realize it.




I've been thinking about margins lately. Some of these arty types run their artwork to the edge of the page in their little journal books. EEK! That goes against all that is good and sacred in my wee little perfectionistic OCD heart. There *must* be a margin! It's written in stone somewhere! We were trained to have margins on writing paper by the insidious notebook paper manufacturers. You will respect the little red line!

I pondered on that a while because it bugged me, really it did. There's no margin on the page. Nowhere is it written in stone. So why is it that I think there needs to be a margin? What kind of margins have I put up in life for myself? Where have I drawn those lines in the sand that I will not cross? What things in life have I missed because they were too close to the edge and I felt the need to respect the margin?

Dang, it's these kinds of questions that keep me up at night. The introspection, the endless questions, the existential crises. Crap, why has a one-inch bit of paper given me such grief?

Must ponder on this some more.




And the gratuitous "Awwwww" picture:



This photo was titled, "Halloween Kitties". Hummm....Almondine looks more like a Playboy Bunny with those ears. And she's topless too! Future career???

My sister's gonna kill me for that comment.

10 comments:

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I just found your blog, and have enjoyed reading the first few entries. Like you, I alternate between visual mode and word mode, though margins have never been an issue for me.

LostInColor said...

Margins. I wonder if that is why I write on paper that does not have margins? I like using up the whole paper, for art, or when I'm writing. But if I use paper that has margins, I do write within them, tho I don't like it. no-margin paper is the way to go, for me anyways.

sageweb said...

I don't pay to much attention to margins but I love margarine.

The babies are sooo cute!

Miss Healthypants said...

Margins suck. Leave them behind! :)

And those babies are sooo cute! Too funny! :)

Br. Jonathan said...

I remember in 1st grade, we were given a drawing of a potato and instructed to color it brown and then cut it out with scissors. I thought, "Cool! If we're going to cut it out then I don't have to stay within the lines." I went to coloring it, going WAY outside the lines.
The teacher saw me doing that and whacked me with a ruler.

Bitch.

Speck said...

Dang, apparently I'm the only one with a margin hangup. Must seek therapy.

"In later years Buck came to realize he enjoyed the sting of the rule...a lifelong passion he pursued with zeal."

yellowdoggranny said...

i hate margins..i never colored inside the lines either and loved coloring all the horses black

rosemary said...

margins are like rules....sorry....I scribble all over a page, make notes, can't figure out computer margins......but at home i am a everythinginitsplacemarginsmustbeobeyed freak.

rosemary said...

PS....those beans are so cute.....just really adorable.

Willym said...

Margins leave room for errors - or wasn't that the theory that got the economy all screwed up?

And what can one say about the Beans - well adorable for a start.