Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Text Life

After the funeral the other day, Clan Speck invaded my sister-in-law's house. We took her daughters with us while she went back to her in-law's house halfway across the county.

Rachael the niece, age 12, was all meshuganah.

"I want to text my friend Brandi but my cell phone is in Mom's car!" she wailed. We shrugged our shoulders; not much could be done about it. She would just have to wait for her mom to get home.

Twenty minutes later....

"I *have* to text Brandi." This was accompanied by high drama arm flinging, eye rolling and facial contortions.

Twenty minutes later....

Shriek! "I so need to text Brandi I can't stand it." More little girl histrionics.

Ten minutes later the phone rang. It was Brandi wondering why Rachael hadn't been returning her text messages. Rachael was outside playing.

"Rachael! Brandi's on the phone! Do you want to talk to her?"

"No."

Sigh.

I fear our younger generation will forget how to talk to each other face to face. They will sit in the same room and have a conversation by tapping away on tiny electronics. Their larynges will shrivel and disappear from disuse and their thumb muscles will be as big as cucumbers.




Afterthought:

My niece (the triplet's mom, not the 12-year-old) can carry on a conversation while tapping a text message on a 12-button cell phone without even looking at it. She could probably change a baby's diaper with her free hand if pressed. I have a photo of her holding and bottle feeding TWO babies in one arm and texting with the free hand.

Me, it takes all my powers of concentration and both thumbs to figure out how to punch in my own home phone number on a cell phone. Gah!!!!

11 comments:

sageweb said...

That is an hilarious comic.
You are so right about the kids that text...even the adults. I get caught up in the texting and then realize with all the texting we could have had a decent LIVE conversation.

Willym said...

I so wanted to text you the following message but you had your cell turned off:

That is so damned funny! ;-)

LostInColor said...

What an awesome comic! A friend of mine was outside building a fence. He was pounding in posts with a tpost pounder and konked himself in the head, hard. Blood was running down his face, and instead of screaming or calling for help. He texted his wife on his cell! funny!

rosemary said...

I have sent three text messages in my life and each one took at least 10 minutes to compose. LOVE the drawing.

yellowdoggranny said...

i love being an old fart..i have never used the word bling and never texted anyone..don't have a cell phone and don't feel like im missing anything.

Miss Healthypants said...

This was funny and crazy--I just don't get texting. Isn't it just simpler to make a quick phone call?

I thought the comic was really funny, too. :)

Doralong said...

I'm with MHP- isn't it easier to just call?? My sister makes me nuts when she texts me. I keep telling her I have to pay for the damn things since they're not on my plan- she was shocked and appalled by the entire concept and asked why. I told her if I have something to say to her I'll dial her damn number!

Br. Jonathan said...

Oh. My. God!

I just wrote about texting on my blog, and I swear, I had not read your blog yet!

This is weird. . . .

(theme of Twilight Zone playing in the background)

Br. Jonathan said...

Oh, and the comic has absolutely brilliant!

June said...

I jumped to your blogs from EDM. I guess I have to say that I was immediately captured by the plural form of "larynx" which I had never used. I like both your blogs very much and will be back. I like your outlook, although I wonder what the thing about cemeteries and funerals is , . . June

more cowbell said...

Yes! Teen Demon and Male Offspring are text maniacs. I mean it, TD does thousands of texts a month. And by thousands, I do not mean 1 or 2 thousand, I mean like 8. It is ridiculous. MO almost NEVER talks on the phone w/ his friends, but they text like addicts. His last girlfriend relationship was conducted almost entirely via text. That can not be healthy.