Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter at the Farm

Hubby and I spent a very cold Easter at his family's farm. We had sixteen folks in all around the dinner table and half the clan wasn't there. Hubby's large family has rather chaotic family reunions which is wonderful yet stressful to this introvert. Sometimes I have to go outside and stare at the trees to recharge my batteries.

Momma-in-law had cooked enough food to feed a hundred people: Lamb, roast beef, and ham; potatoes, okra, pinto beans, cabbage; artichokes, deviled eggs, rolls and a tossed salad. Phew! There was tons of food! I ate until I hurt. Her ham is wonderful and I have been waiting in eager anticipation for a couple of months to git me some of that! I was surprised to find boiled okra. That's a new dish on the table for this very northern lady. I don't think she knew what okra was until she moved to Lower Arkansas.

The nieces are growing up into young ladies. One was sporting a brand-new set of braces with her smile. I was a little surprised at that because I thought she had nice teeth to begin with. Her little sister, age eight, had a long, silky headband made of a cool looking retro fabric. The ends of the headband hung nearly to her waist. She also had on a pair of stylish capri pants. I thought she was going to be the tomboy of the two sisters, but she may turn out to be the prissy sissy after all. She has more style now at eight than I've ever had in my whole life. Phooey!

The Prodigal Son nephew arrived unexpectedly from Upper Arkansas with his new wife. He called the farm en route to talk to his momma and wish her a Happy Easter. She was nearly in tears because she thought he wasn't ever coming back for a visit. He didn't tell her he was only ten miles down the road. Many tears of joy when he pulled up in the driveway. He was looking pretty well-fed even though his new wife is a vegetarian. I'm betting he hasn't been sticking to the "greens only" diet. A Big Mac or two has crossed his lips in the last few months.

It was a wonderful, relaxing day...meaning I didn't have to pick up a hammer, paintbrush, or yard rake. I sat at the dinner table watching and listening to everyone talk at once about everything and nothing. Everybody talks; no one in particular listens. It is chaos, it is comical, it is wonderful. Lots of love lives around this table. I am truly blessed to be a small part of this madness.

No comments: