Pages

Friday, April 6, 2007

Good Friday Question (and Answer)

I have a question that has been bugging me for a couple of months....

What is the technical term for the time period between Jesus' death and resurrection?

I have asked this question of many people from several different denominations and the responses so far have been the same...a blank look.

The subject came up when Hubby's golf buddy Nolan and I were in a lively discussion about Jesus speaking to the imprisioned. (1 Peter 3:18-20) Nolan, a cradle Church of Christer, claimed this speaking engagement happened between the time Jesus died and the time He was resurrected.

It became burdensome to keep saying "between the time Jesus died and was resurrected" so we shortened that to the "Three Day Grace" period. Later on I got to thinking that some religion, some denomination, somebody, somewhere has a one-word term for this period of time.

The Catholic church has specific terms for every piece of religious minutiae that one can dream up, but apparently not this 48-hour period. Or not one that anyone can dig up out of the gazillion tomes of Catholic literature.

Can anyone out there in the blogosphere come up with an answer?

Inquiring minds want to know.



UPDATE - July 12

I stumbled upon the answer in an Episcopalian Friar's blog. The term I have been looking for is "Paschal Triduum" or "Easter Triduum."

Googling for the word triduum I found:
"Triduum means "three days" and the three days are counted from dusk to dusk, Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday."

That includes one more day than I needed for my answer, but I'm satisfied.

Episcopalians to the rescue!

No comments: