Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Notes

Valentine's Day is a day filled with landmines for guys. They never are quite sure what to get their girl so they fall back on the old standards: cards, flowers, candy, perfume, jewelry, lingerie. They never do figure out what is the "just right" gift. Any of those can have a negative connotation for the girl depending on her hormone level that day, or the length or stability of the relationship as a whole.

Sometimes, though, it's the little things that show how much a guy loves a girl. Things a guy might not think about.

Case in point:

My sweet hubby has never failed to delight me with some little something on Valentine's Day because he is a big ol' sweetie. I'm assuming he will order flowers because I love flowers, carnations specifically (I hate roses.) He may even remember to get a card too.

But this year, it really doesn't matter if he buys me anything at all. You see, I stumbled upon a testament of his love for me quite by accident.

I was rummaging around in his desk the other day and found an envelope stuck way back in the back of the drawer. The front was labeled, "Notes from Speck." Obviously it didn't say "Speck", but you get the point.

I opened it to find little stick 'em notes I've left for him around the house, in his lunchbox, stapled to his briefcase handle. There are more saved in his papers here and there. I run across them from time to time.

The fact that hubby thinks these little notes are treasures worth saving made my heart fill with love for him. He must love me real much to save such mundane stuff as this.





I think I'll keep him around a while.

Happy Valentine's Day Honey Bunny.
I heart you real much.
Love 147.

8 comments:

Br. Jonathan said...

Speck, I know this sounds really weird, but your handwriting and mine are almost exactly alike. It's really kinda spooky.

Willym said...

And that beats flowers and candy by a mile - sounds like you got a keeper.

Speck said...

Buck - Didn't you know you are my long-lost half brother??? You have my eyes too.

Willym - I'll keep him as long as he'll have me. Why he keeps me around is still a mystery.

Anonymous said...

147? Hmmm...might hafta call you tonight.

Speck said...

Hat - 147 is our secret love code involving Bozo the Clown. It's a long story requiring voice inflection to make sense.

It starts with the question, "Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?"

Yep, long story.

more cowbell said...

that's really nice ...

more cowbell said...

on the 147 -- my family has a long history of characters and voices and make believe games. Not something I often tell people, because it somehow never makes much sense in the explaining. As in, it makes us sound like unbalanced freaks, but, there you go.

Speck said...

Cowbell - Those secret inside jokes are the glue that keeps families close. They are the bits of life to be cherished and remembered. And they're never explainable to outsiders.