Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

The Taxman Cometh

The first breath of spring brings with it the stench of the taxman. The approach of April 15th weighs heavy on my mind as soon as the Christmas decorations are packed away.

It's not that I mind paying taxes. I understand that living in this republic bears a price. If the skies above me are clear of bombers, if the roadways are free of potholes, if the FDIC is still operational, I'm happy to contribute to the cause.

The thing that worries me is filling out the forms. I'm never sure if I've done it correctly or not. I agonize over the figures from about mid-January until April 14th when I drop them in the mail. I have mailer's remorse that I've not completed things correctly or left something out. I DO NOT want the IRS taking interest in little ol' me down here in Lower Arkansas. The IRS can make life a living hell for years to come.

I figure I have simple enough tax items that a person of reasonable intelligence (me) could get a 1040 filed with no problem. However, even though I have reasonable intelligence, the people who write the frakking tax laws and 1040 instructions do not have enough intelligence to write them in plain English. Sheesh! I'm pretty sure the IRS subcontracts that task to the lowest bidder in some third world country. I couldn't make the instructions that confusing if I tried. Sheesh again!

This year I spent three days poring over the federal nightmare. When I got to the bottom line I owed money. DAMMIT! That wasn't supposed to happen. I thought I had calculated the right amount of withholding tax from Hubby's paycheck. Nope. We made almost exactly the same amount of money this year as last year, but this year we owe a boatload more taxes. Thanks Shrub. I really appreciate that economic stimulus of more taxes this year. That means I'll be spending less as well as everybody else. Instead of giving us all back a check, why don't you just let us keep our hard-earned money to begin with???

Knowing I had to cut a check to the feds, my tummy started developing an ulcer. Then I opened the booklet for Arkansas State Income Taxes. I read through that pile of #%$@!!!!!ing cow poop for two hours. I'm pretty sure the state of Arkansas subcontracts the writing of this booklet to a group of monkeys on crack. Holy Bejeebus! My ulcer was now full blown with acid gurgling up to my tonsils. I had to take a powder and retire to my bed.

The next day I decided I was going to break down and finally take my taxes to a CPA. I was not going to be in agony for the next two months over this unholy bull crap. Whatever she charges will be well worth my piece of mind and far less than a visit to the gastroenterologist.

Miss CPA Lady was sooo sweet. She is about my mom's age. I told her of my agony and she said, "Lay your burdens down child." I thought I was going to cry it was such a religious moment. I now understand the cleansing elation people feel when they find Jesus and get saved. Miss CPA Lady has indeed saved my soul. I shall be bowing in reverence at her alter each spring from now on. And the tithe she demands is far less than 10% of my total income.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

"Lay down your burdens, child."

I want your CPA! I felt relieved just reading those words.

Kimberly Ann said...

Tax help is worth it, for sure. Glad you have a remedy for your ulcer.

Nory Roth said...

I just filed my taxes this past weekend, and fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) we are getting a refund. It would be nice to be able to keep more of what's already mine during the year instead of waiting until March to collect from the IRS!!!

We have used the government's website to electronically file our taxes for about five years now. It's VERY user friendly, and if there is a mistake or audit, H&R Blockhead goes with you.....kind of a nice feeling. (Check out www.irs.gov - it's free and quite easy to do!)

gone said...

Breath in...
Breath out...
Find your happy place...

Sling said...

I'm a firm believer in paying taxes..Yep..I said it.
I mean,somebody's gotta pick up the garbage,and I'm happy to pay for it.
Still,The thought of working my butt off all year long,only to discover I OWE someone for the priveledge really chaps my hide!..Bless The CPA!

rosemary said...

There is no way I would ever let doing my own taxes even enter my mind.....I would turn into a blathering idiot. It is hard enough to gather all of the little pieces of paper into one place to get accutare figures. You must be made of tough stuff to have done it this long....yes, lay down and take a nap! And have a cold one! I looked at your fave five.....I totally agree although Mr. Criminal Intent has gained a few. Did you see him in Mystic Pizza?

Speck said...

MG - Hello and welcome! Miss CPA Lady is a real sweetie. She gives good Mommy Love too...big hugs at hello and goodbye. Says "Bless your heart." I adore her.

KA - The relief was priceless, the ulcer has magically disappeared.

Nory - Hidey and welcome too! Congrats on the refund. Am crossing my fingers that we might get one from the state.

Hat - My happy place would be in line at the bank to deposit a refund. Sigh.

Sling - Yep, I don't mind chipping in on the garbageman's paycheck either. I just wish it wasn't such a big chip.

Speck said...

Rosie - I noticed he was looking a little pudgy in the new season shows. I've only seen bits and snatches of Mystic Pizza and that was a long time ago. I didn't even realize he was the bug man in Men in Black until someone told me, then I had to watch it again and look very closely to recognize him. I'll see if I can find a copy of Mystic Pizza to rent.

Doralong said...

My CPA is a lovely man- I take him the mess he makes it all right and perfect. I used to have the same ulcer inducing experience annually, and it is indeed a joy to lay that burden at another's feet..

The writing the check to the IRS? Not so much.

more cowbell said...

Great post -- I can well imagine your sense of relief. i've always done my own taxes, but with the purchase of This Old Motherfucking House, for the first time I'll have to do itemized taxes, in order to take advantage of claiming all the friggin' interest i've been paying. I am thinking I probably need to hire a tax person too ... but the thought of writing the check to them ... blech. Why can't it just be simple?

Speck said...

Doralong - Got our tax returns back yesterday. Gritting my teeth as write the check to the IRS. Dang.

Cowbell - Taxes aren't simple because it is job security for the IRS and thousands of CPAs out there in the world. Having said that, I highly recommend you seek the services of a highly qualified tax preparer. They can find all kinds of nifty deductions that you may miss. Miss CPA Lady reviewed our 2005 state return and found a deduction I had missed. The resulting refund more than paid for her bill. Yippee!