Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Bit and Pieces

I cleaned up my computer nest today and ended up with a pile of little pieces of paper. I jot down quotes, ideas, and craziness that inspire me, thinking I will turn the kernel of the idea into some full-blown blog post. Well, I need to toss the paper and I don't have the time to devote to hours of verbosity, so I'm posting them here in their raw form.


---------------------------------------------------------

DREAMS

"The question is not where will your dreams take you, but where will you take your dreams?"

-TV commercial with Dennis Hopper

----------------------------------------------------------

HOUSE HUNTING

A guy went house hunting the other day. He went to his employee's house and shot up the house and car with a rifle.

Bag limits in Arkansas for houses: One per season
Penalty for being over limit: 5 to 10 in the state pen

Joint investigation on-going between County Sheriffs Office and Arkansas Game & Fish wardens.

And you thought you had a sucky boss.

--------------------------------------------------------------

ABSTRACT --> TANGIBLE

The classical Great Masters (of art) like DaVinci were great because they were able and creative enough to: "turn the abstract into the tangible."

-Angela Baldwin

i.e. Able to take a complicated concept and condense it to something simple and understandable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A LONG DECEMBER

"The feeling that it's all a lot of oysters but no pearls."

-Counting Crows lyric

-----------------------------------------------------------------

MARBLE ORCHARDS

"Marble Orchards" - a term for cemeteries.

-comment by Rosemary

-----------------------------------------------------------------

IRONY

When I was a kid I dreamed of the day
I wouldn't have to go to school anymore.
Now I'm a teacher.
The cold hand of irony.

-on Twitter

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FORECAST

Forecast is partly cloudy with
trouser stains.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

COOL NAME

HEVER'S CAFE

-seen on a car in a demolition derby

This could be a starting point for a great
Southern Gothic novel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HATED - LOVED

"I'd rather be HATED for who I am than LOVED for who I am NOT."

-found in a frame of somebody's YouTube video

6 comments:

rosemary said...

Ummmm, is that Baldwin quote old or new? Spotting "marble orchards" was the game my dad and I played every summer when we took the truck routes driving back east to visit relatives....that and finding all of the JC Pennys which were prolific in the early 50's. Thank you for the mention. I miss Angela.

Speck said...

The Angela quote was dated Dec 17, 2007. Yours has the same date. Some of these bits have a 2006 date on them. I don't throw anything away apparently.

Allan said...

Where is Hat these days, anyway? I still have her CD...sigh.

Speck said...

Haven't spoken to Hat in over a year. Email is bouncing and both cell and landline not working. When she decided to disappear, she did it in a big way. I miss her terribly. A big piece of my soul died when she said goodbye.

sageweb said...

Oh I miss Hat too.

I loved all of your little notes...very cool.

Willym said...

Count me in with the group that misses the Hat - bit time. I was reading a comment she posted just yesterday and got a bit misty.

Love little postits.. maybe it should become a regular feature?