Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Coons and Skunks and Possums, Oh My!

A steady stream of wildlife ambles through our yard each night. Some are welcome, some not so much. The mangy possum I wasn't too thrilled about, he looked kinda sick.

Last night a skunk wandered by the front step as I was standing five feet away on the porch. At first I thought he was another possum because he was ambling along so slowly. In the darkness I really couldn't tell who he was. When I reached for the Nocturnal Critter Identification Flashlight we keep on the porch, I bumped the table and made a noise. I heard him scurry off into the darkness of the neighbor's yard. When I found him with the flashlight I realized he was Pepe LePew's cousin. Ack! I'm glad I didn't make the noise ten seconds earlier or I might have regretted it for a few days. Those skunk hiney salutes linger around for a while.

Tonight the cutest little guy wandered through the yard and up the neighbor's big oak tree. He seemed as interested in me as I was in him. It's not often the wildlife around here has the patience for me to go inside and retrieve my camera, finagle around with the settings, then sit still long enough to have their picture taken.


(Click on photo to embiggen)

He was about 20 feet up in the tree in the darkness. It's amazing the photos came out this clear. You can see the little hairs in his ears.

It looked like he had had a long day and was looking for some place comfortable to bed down for the night.

No comments: