Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Garden Photos

The garden is lovely now. Not quite the bushy jungle I was aiming for, but it's only late May. Here are a few photos of my favorite garden goodies:


-----PINK HYDRANGEA-----

The blooms on this are intense pink and big as cantaloupes. They have been glorious with all the rain we've been having.



-----HOSTA-----


I was afraid the after last year's drought, the hosta might not make it to a second year. They came back with a vengeance early this spring and even weathered the Easter frost. Then they started growing straight up like a canna and I didn't know what was going on. I thought hosta were just a low mounding plant. I discovered the tall bits are the bloom stalks. They now have the most delicate little lilac colored blooms.



-----IMPATIENS-----


The front bed is a sea of bushy, mounding impatiens. They too are just glorious this year. In addition to the solid red, pink, and salmon ones in the photo, there are candy-striped varieties in these same colors. Just glorious.


-----WINDOW BOXES-----


The window boxes on the back deck are about the only space I can find to have sun plants. Shown above are: (top to bottom) black sweet potato vine, orange marigolds, lime sweet potato vine, and an electric red variety of geranium. The lime sweet potato vine glows neon green in the noonday sun; grows bushy as well as drips out of the box; and is happy in wet or dry, sunny or shady conditions. Too bad it is an annual. I love the high contrast of color and foliage in this little mini garden.


-----GYM LOCKER MARIGOLDS-----


These are 'Bonanza Bee' marigolds planted in old gym locker baskets. I think they are charming. Hubby says they are cute. The other gym locker basket has rusty-colored marigolds.


-----CALLA LILY-----


I was holding my breath to see if this little guy would bloom this year. I planted three bulbs this spring as an afterthought in the experimental bed. He seems pretty happy there. I hope his two brothers bloom too.

No comments: