Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Feel The Earth Move, Under My Feet...

Yep, we had an earthquake yesterday here in Our Town. 3.0 on the Richter Scale. It scared me silly, mostly because it was stormy outside and the sky was green. When the house started shaking I thought it was a tornado taking me off to Oz. My first thought was, "Dang! I'm not in the closet! Where are the tornado sirens??? Where is the freight train sound??? I didn't get any warning! Crap!!"

Then I looked at my puppy who was laying beside me. She was totally unperturbed about the whole thing, so I nixed the idea of a tornado. Puppy Girl would have been coming unglued if it had been a tornado. She's my four-legged weatherman.

Next I figured one of the chemical plants had blown up. Nope. No sirens. Incoming missile attack? Nope, that would garner sirens too. Maybe it was just my house shifting due to ground heave because of all the rain. Not good, but not life threatening. That theory worked for me so I went back to working on the computer about 30 seconds after the tremor.

The whole episode lasted about five seconds, but it seemed much longer. For me it was akin to sitting in the back of a pickup truck as it bounced along a gravel road. I was sitting still in my chair but it was skip, skip, skipping across the floor. No traction whatsoever. I've felt rumblings like this in the past, but much smaller and usually in the wee hours of morning. Hubby said I was imagining things. Yay! I now have validation! It was published in the local paper so it must be true!

No comments: