Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Giant Spitwad Theory

I'm a questioner. I have a need to know about everything I encounter in my daily life. I endlessly ask "Why? What? Where? When?" like a curious 5-year-old. Why is it that way? Why did they do that? What's that made of? Where did it go? When will that happen? I have an insatiable curiousity.

Actually I have a giant spitwad in my head.

That's what I call it, the giant spitwad. It's an accumulation of all the tidbits of information learned over my lifetime. It's The Big Picture I'm always trying to complete to make sense of the world. I call it a spitwad because most of the information is probably useless. I don't know that I'll ever need it again once I understand it, but it fits a hole in the puzzle and the puzzle must be completed.

As I find a new bit of information I mentally chew on it a while. If it logically fits on my giant spitwad I stick it in the appropriate place. If it doesn't, the little Iota of Non-Understanding (INU) is launched into orbit around the giant spitwad. Later, if I discover a new bit of information that will connect, I retrive the orbiting INU. Those get stuck together then stuck onto the spitwad.

I have a lot of junk orbiting out there: that question I missed on the ACT test; bits I've read and don't understand; actions of people that don't make sense. I have faith that some day I will have understanding and these bits will be stuck in place to complete The Big Picture.

Sometimes it takes years for an INU to find a place on the spitwad.

When I was a little kid, maybe 5th or 6th grade, I read the novel "Valley of the Dolls." No reading material was off-limits to me as a kid, by the way. There was a passage or two where a guy was doing something to a girl. I didn't understand the words used, but from the context I got the gist that it was a sexual encounter of some kind. The girl didn't want to do something the regular way, she wanted the guy to "go down on her". This going down business was apparently more pleasurable than the regular way. I didn't understand at the time what "going down" meant, so that little INU went into orbit. Somewhere around the age of 19 or 20 I had a Eureka! moment where I was able to retrieve the 'going down' INU and stick it to my giant spitwad. A notable day in the life, that was.

Some INUs float about aimlessly - Pez dispensers for instance. Most people look at a Pez and think "Pez. Candy. Want/don't want that." But not me. I think, "What is that made of? Who designed that? How does it work? Why was it invented? Who decides what heads get produced? How long do they stay in production? What's in the candy? Why did they decide 10 candies per dispenser; why not 15? What's the profit margin per item? How many are produced yearly?" Yep, I could stare at a Pez dispenser for an hour and entertain my brain. One day there will be a TV show on Pez dispensers and all my Pez INUs will find a home on the giant spitwad. That or I could look it up on the internet.

Other data I have stuck to my spitwad I know for sure I will never use. Cockfighting. I know a great deal about cockfighting because I asked. I got an hour-long tutorial from a guy who was passionate about cock-fighting. He loved his birds more than his wife and children and took better care of the birds. He brought me cock-fighting magazines the next day because I didn't grasp the concept of the metal spurs. The mags had ads for all different kinds. He took the time to explain when and why each type of spur was used. I'll never raise fighting chickens, I'll never fight chickens, I'll never attend a chicken fighting event. But I know about it now. The data is stuck forever on the spitwad.

Sometimes I ask about things I don't have an interest in simply because I am very interested in the person to whom I have asked the question. People will talk endlessly about their passions and in doing so reveal a lot about themselves. Cockfighting, beekeeping, steeplecross...things I wouldn't do, but someone does, and I'm very interested as to why. I collect the information about those topics for the spitwad, but more importantly I collect a person's motivation for doing them. People are endlessly fascinating. Why they do the things they do will entertain my brain for my entire lifetime. That stuff goes on the spitwad too.

One day I will understand how the world works and why it works the way it does. One day there will be no more orbiting INUs. On that day I can die happy. Until then I will be asking questions, collecting data, and building my spitwad of useful and useless information. It's my obsession and my passion.

Now you know.

Another blob for your spitwad.

9 comments:

Br. Jonathan said...

I'm so glad you're posting regularly. We really think a lot alike. . .

Kimberly Ann said...

Three cheers..er...spitoons for the spitwad. You are a lady after my own heart.

booda baby said...

Fantastic! Minds like yours are big fat treasures!!

sageweb said...

Wow, I like your mind..it has patience.

Doralong said...

Makes perfect sense to me.. but I'm like that.

Sling said...

It was 92 degrees in O-Town yesterday.
I sat at the break table outside,feeling the warmth of the sun,and watching the heat waves rise from the cars in the parking lot,and I wondered,'Why is space cold?'.
I mean,doesn't the heat from the sun have to get from there to here?
..spitwad fodder.

Anonymous said...

And suddenly every thing you have ever said makes complete sense.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I am the same way. I drive my friends NUTS. But who do they come to when they need info about how oil filters work?
Have you watched that show on the discovery channel 'How It's Made'?
I love that show.

more cowbell said...

Yes! Oh, this made me laugh. My kids laugh when I "get obsessed" with something. It's become a family joke. Like when the Popes changed over -- omg, I was completely obsessed with the whole selection process, back to first popes. The puffs of smoke. Then what the robes mean. The different hats. On to the specs on teh pope-mobile. I am not Catholic, and there is no earthly reason I should be obsessed with popes.

Last month I got obsessed with the Lushootseed Native American language. Why? No earthly idea. I learned so many details about it it could be whole post. Fascinating.

There is no rhyme or reason to these obsessions, and I've yet to find a practical use for it. "Yes sir, I'm skilled with spreadsheets, have good organizational skills, and am an expert on popes, a Native language I cannot speak, and animals from Madagascar, and I'd like to work at your company for lots of money."

Right. Oh well, keeps things interesting, doesn't it?