Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

That's Stupid! - Helmet and Seatbelt Laws

Every now and then someone has to stand up and say, "That's Stupid." I'm feeling the need.

Helmet and seat belt laws are stupid. I'm not saying helmets and seat belts are stupid, just the laws requiring their use. I don't have much support for a law designed to protect people from themselves.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the past 20 years, you know seat belts are a good thing. If you choose not to wear them that should be your option. If you don't wear a seat belt and are thrown through the windshield and killed, that's just the normal course of evolution; only the smartest live to reproduce. We could use a few more young organ donors anyways. Thanks for the new heart and liver there Einstein.

This same philosophy applies to:
-Motorcycle helmets
-Child car seats
-Child safety helmets

What! No child safety laws? Millions of children will be maimed or killed! (gnashing of teeth)

Yep, you read me right. If your momma is too stupid to strap you into a child car seat, you probably have inherited her stupid gene. Please don't procreate if you live to get the chance.

I don't think personal safety laws should be mandated by the government. That only preserves the gene pool of the stupid who will multiply en masse. We don't need any more stupid people on this planet.

The gene pool could use a little more chlorine.

11 comments:

Doralong said...

Good point- let's face it between modern medicine and laws designed to protect ourselves from our own stupidity we've managed to throw a monkey wrench (pun only sort of intended) into evolution. As my daughter says "See, this is what happens when they don't get weeded out by natural selection".

sageweb said...

Oh there is a movie...where only the stupid gene survives. Its called Idiocracy it is so funny and so true.

Speck said...

Doralong - I like the way your daughter thinks. Brownie points to her. Brownie points to her momma for raising and nurturing a thinker.

Sage - I think I'm living in that movie right now.

Anonymous said...

Given the current state of our union I have to agree with you on the stupid gene having been too widely protected by inane laws. Damn their eyes!

Speck said...

Hat - @#$%! liberals.

ninjapoodles said...

Eh, I'm in favor of seatbelt laws--I know plenty of *smart* people who seem to need that reminder to buckle up EVERY time.

Alex called me on his cell phone yesterday to tell me about a guy riding a motorcyle on the highway...he WAS wearing a helmet, but he was BAREFOOT. S-M-R-T.

rosemary said...

OK...I have caught up....loved your t-shirt....agree with a past post about your platform and totally agree with the belt/helmet post here.....I'm looking for the chlorine.

rosemary said...

PS.....I worked on an ortho-neuro floor in a second level trauma center.....I held a lot of brains in place and watched families cry and wail....a word at the right age could have prevented it all.

Speck said...

Belinda - There ya go...Barefoot Boy is a shining example. Where's a bucket of chlorine when ya need one????

Rosemary - The consequences are nasty, I concur. I wish your scenario was on film and shown to every 16-year-old in the country...and their parents. No seat belt = no car keys. You walk. Those are the rules. Period.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chickie said...

Yes, more chlorine is needed. My husband's exwife let her kid ride a 4 wheeler barefoot and with a bicycle helmet on. It flipped over and totally chewed him up from the heel to about midcalf. For the sake of humanity, I hope the kid is sterile. Let the buck stop with her.