Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wasp -1 Speck - 0

I got stung by an angry red waspy creature yesterday. He was lurking in the grass and I stepped on him with my bare foot. I suppose he had a right to be angry with me stepping on him and all. He zotted me on the side of my big toe. I thought I had stepped on a grass sticker at first, but then a searing, white-hot pain shot up through my nervous system like nobody's business. I looked down just in time to see him regain his composure and fly off, the little bastid.

I screamed like a girl of course, me being a girl. I went screaming into the kitchen and applied a poultice of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to the wound. Yes, I live in the South; we still apply poultices to things. Adolph's tenderizes meat by breaking down the proteins in the meat and it acts on the venom in the same way. Or that's the theory at least. All I know is that it works like a charm. We keep a bottle in the first aid kit as well as the kitchen.

By the time I made it into the kitchen the poison was already streaking across my instep headed towards my ankle. The pain was clouding my vision and I was doing a little mouth breathing. I've been stung before but don't remember them hurting this badly. This little guy really packed a wallop. Maybe all the other stings were paper wasps or yellowjackets. Red critters supposedly hurt more when they sting.

Twelve hours later all the swelling had disappeared, there was no pain, and I couldn't even tell where I was stung. Life is good. Adolph's is good. Wasps not so much.

4 comments:

rosemary said...

First: I get a backache and you post like crazy...I feel fine, you don't post...fine then.

I use mud on bug/flying thing stings. Also Prep H works too. I am HIGHLY allergic so I have an epi pen. I'm special.

Speck said...

Rosie - Sorry 'bout the poor timing on the posting. I couldn't say anything for a long while because my brain was fried. Now I find I have lots and lots to say. I'm just quirky that way.

That's all I can come up with for an excuse.

Br. Jonathan said...

I can't imagine anything hurting more than a yellowjacket. Wow.

Poultice. That's funny. Haven't heard that word in decades.

I'll relay this remedy to my kinfolks down in Texas. I'm sure it can be used.

Speck said...

Buck - When I was a little kid and stung by a hangy-legged flying critter, my neighbor lady took a dip of snuff from her mouth and poulticed it upon my thigh. Yep, I wuz borned and raised a redneck. (grin) BTW, I love that you have been using the phrase "like God intended." Your Southerness is showing.